View Sample Results

Search by City

Search by Office

Search by Candidate






PayPal Credit terms

FORMER TOWNS WITHIN THE PRESENT LIMITS OF MINNEAPOLIS

  1. St. Anthony City, south of present Washington Avenue Southeast, platted by William A. Cheever in 1848; also called Cheeverville;
  2. Town of St. Anthony, between present 7th & 2nd Avenues Norhtheast and from 5th Street Northeast to the Mississippi River; platted in 1849 by Franklin Steele and Pierre Bottineau, and surveyed by William Marshall;
  3. St. Anthony Falls, platted 1849; from 2nd Avenue NE to 11th Avenue SE, and from 5th Street to the River;
  4. The above were combined in 1855 with that portion of St. Anthony Township below present 18th Street NE and west of Stinson Avenue to form the City of St. Anthony;
  5. Town of Minneapolis, platted in 1855; roughly, the present city north of 7th Street from 7th Avenue North to 24th Avenue South; the town had an corporate life from 1856-1862 and 1864-1867, and became the City of Minneapolis in February 1867;
  6. North Minneapolis, claimed 1857 by Charles Christmas; it extended north of Basset's Creek along the Mississippi River;
  7. Township of Minneapolis, as defined in 1858 included Hennepin County west of the Mississippi River from present 45th Avenue North to Lake Street, west to Highway 18; in 1860 area north of 26th Avenue North given to Crystal Lake Township; in 1867 the southern limit of the Township was extended to 46th Street South, at Richfield's expense; the incorporation of St. Louis Park and Golden Valley and the spread of the city of Minneapolis resulted in the extinction of the township;
  8. Eatonville, on the eastern shore of Lake Calhoun, flourished from 1834 to 1843, when the Dakota were forced off their land;
  9. Farmersville, which was never platted or organized, was planned for the northern tier of sections in the original area of Minneapolis Township;
  10. Crystal Lake Township, formed April 3, 1860, from the northernmost tier of sections of Minneapolis Township and the southern sections of Brooklyn Township;
  11. Richfield Mills, called "Richland" until the first meeting in 1858, was established where the Bloomington Road (now Lyndale Avenue) crossed Minnehaha Creek; the corner of 54th & Lyndale was the principal center of Richfield Township;
  12. and the following ephemeral towns, found on maps from the early days:
  13. Falls City, a plat on the 1860 county map, at Lake Street and the River;
  14. City of Fort Snelling, also found on the 1860 map, where the Fort stands;
  15. Cedar Lake, on the 1879 county map, between Lake of the Isles and Cedar Lake;
  16. Shingle Creek, from the 1879 map, a section on both sides of the Mississippi River, including the mouth of Shingle Creek;
  17. Minnehaha, also from the 1879 map, located where the Milwaukee & St. Paul Rail Road crosses Minnehaha Creek;
  18. Lyndale, from the 1879 map, located where Lakewood Cemetery now stands.
  • From Settlement to Suburb: the History of Edina, Minnesota; Paul D. Hesterman, Burgess Publishing Co., Edina, 1988;
  • History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis, Warner & Foote, 1881;
  • History of Minneapolis and Hennepin County, Minnesota; edited by Isaac Atwater & John H. Stevens;
  • Munsell Publishing Company, New York & Chicago. 1895;
  • 1860 Plat Map of Hennepin County, R. & F. Cook, St. Anthony & Minneapolis
  • 1879 Map of Hennepin County;
  • 1940 Plat Map of Minneapolis

Highwood Press — Minneapolis, MN — (612) 872-9156

Scroll To Top